Monday, April 7, 2008

Williamsburg Weekend









Although Virginia is a nice state and we've even kind of liked it here, chances are not very likely that Tony and I will ever live in this part of the country again, so we are trying to hit some of the historical places before we move. This weekend we went down to the Williamsburg Virginia area, including Jamestown and Yorktown.

Saturday we went to Colonial Williamsburg, which is this living museum type of place with people dressed in period costumes and acting out characters. I hear that it gets really busy there, and believe it or not that trio of locations is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world. (I know, surprising.) A lot of events happened in that area that led to what our country is today.
Anyway maybe because we got there early, or because the weather threatened to rain, (although it rarely did) but we were able to feel a sort of peace about the place. They don't allow cars in most areas, so it's mainly people walking and a few horse drawn rides. Very few people were even talking on their cell phones, so it was quiet and surprisingly relaxing. It did get busier as the day went on but by that time we were done walking.

I have to say if you go to the Williamsburg area I would just go to Colonial Williamsburg. I wasn't as impressed with the Jamestown and the Yorktown museums. Maybe because in Williamsburg, I think it was 88 of the buildings are original, and many are detailed replicas standing in the same place they would have been. It felt more historical, like important things could have happened there. With Jamestown, everything is a replica and it's not even on the same site. You can go to the original site, as it is an archaeological dig, but we were kind of getting tired by that point. I did like seeing the ship replicas in Jamestown, and the tour guides by the ships were dressed in sailor garb, which I thought looked... funny/cool.

Any way that's just my opinion on the area. Next weekend maybe we will go to the Amish area or somewhere else. Depends on those job interviews. They take precedence over tourism right now.

(P.S. So Tony was the photographer on this trip again. I did take my camera but alas it is film and archaic in that I can't instantly download the images. My whole point in this little post script is that Tony isn't in any of the shots because he took the pictures, and I guess we never switched so I could get one of him.)

3 comments:

Mike Bohn said...

Man, Williamsburg brings back a lot of memories for me. I used to go there when I lived in VA. Always bought that rock candy.

Anonymous said...

Hi Stacey,
I just wanted you to know that the picture of you in the Williamsburg bonnet, made me realize how much your spirit and enthusiasm are missed!! You brought an energy of excitement to work and now that you are gone we are definitely at a loss. I hope that you and Tony are doing well in your new endeavors. You are truly missed :)

Shannon Merchant

Annelisa said...

Tony did a good job taking pictures. You look great in the bonnet! Looks like a fun weekend.