Sunday, February 10, 2008

What to do with free time?

I've been back to Virginia now for a few weeks and since I don't have a job, I kind of have a lot of free time on my hands.

I've been spending a lot of time at the gym, or what amounts to a lot of time for me. Just down the street, a new gym opened up. They have tons of cardio machines, weights, a lap pool, and two of my favorite parts, a fairly large hot tub, and steam rooms. They also have classes, and we've been trying different ones. (I'll sometimes go in the morning for awhile and then again in the evening when Tony goes.)

Although I haven't done a lot of it in the last few years, I actually like to cook, so I've also been trying out new healthy recipes from fitness magazines. I made Lamburgers for lunch today, which are actually called "Greek Burgers" but I liked my name better. They're supposed to be healthier than hamburgers, and instead of using a high calorie white bun, it called for pita pockets. (Tony was skeptical at first but he liked it enough that I'll make it again sometime.) The funny thing I've noticed is that I usually end up going to the grocery store twice a week to get something for a recipe I want to try. Part of it is that I hate carrying the groceries in. Always have, so I try not to buy more than I can carry.

Let's see... I'm doing a little scrapbooking and I've also figured out what shows I like to watch and what time of day they are on. (No soap operas though, so don't worry.) There are many other things Tony has suggested as worth while activities. He would love it if when I start a load of laundry in the washer, that I would move it to the dryer and then fold it. Honestly I usually just forget it's in the washer, but the folding part, well I think that's kind of boring and the dryer is such a convenient storage place.... I have to say that it was a very good thing I was born now rather than 100+ years ago. I hate chores, and they certainly had their fill of them back then. We have it pretty good, I mean at least I don't have to spend all day hunched over a tub or creek in stinging soapy water scrubbing clothes and then hanging them to dry on a line or in front of a fire.

Anyway what this whole post was intended for was to see what you would do with free time if you had it? I'm not so much looking for ideas for me, just curious what other people would do. So....

3 comments:

Cameron/Melissa said...

I think I would ski or possibly go running on the beach. I also want to snowshoe up Keller Peak. Hey since I live in California I would go to Disneyland!

Are there any fires around you guys?

Our Pratt Pack said...

I didn't realize you were back, as for free time I don't really know what that is but when there's any sort of quiet time in my house I blog, or sew, or scrapbook.

Shar said...

If free time existed in our house, I would read or work on writing one of my books. But wait, I am blogging, so that must be some kind of free time. So I guess that's what I end up doing b/c it's fast. :)