Friday, February 15, 2008

On The Lighter Side

I get daily emails at work to keep us updated on all the current issues. This warning was in one of today's emails.

"This Offer May Be Void In All 50 States"
The economic stimulus package signed into law by President Bush includes individual tax rebates. Even before it had passed, the IRS said identity thieves were on the prowl, contacting people about receiving "early payment" of their rebates—provided they divulge personal banking and other identifying information.

Signs you may be speaking to an IRS impostor:

Starts phone conversation by saying you were specially selected by the IRS Commissioner for an extra rebate.

Offers to send you not only a rebate check, but also a Veg-O-Matic and a Ginsu knife.

For a small fee, promises to have Vice President Cheney deliver your rebate check.

Tells you his boss is leaning on him hard to unload last year's rebates before the new rebates arrive.

Urges you to buy the platinum-level extended service contract to protect the value of your rebate.

Claims she just got off the phone with Gordon Gekko, who likes to get in on these things early.

Says that because of the budget deficit, IRS needs to raise cash fast so, "this offer won't last long."

Promises to send you an "IRS Auxiliary Member" card that will exempt you from IRS penalties.

Says that any money raised by the IRS to process your rebate will be used to save the polar bears.

Says you don't need to file a return this year because it's President Bush's last year in office.

1 comment:

hillary said...

Hey, this really doesn't relate to this post at all, but I forgot that I found your blog a while back and then realized that I could write you guys and let you know that we are so sorry for your loss. I was here in Utah during the Christmas season when it all happened and then later found out that it was Tony's sister. I couldn't believe it. I am in Utah right now because my Brother just had his first baby, so I was sort of surprised to see you guys on the news. Sorry this is coming so late. I should have done this a long time ago, I was just reminded of you guys when I saw you on TV. I hope things are getting a little better for your family. We will keep everyone in our prayers. Good luck in DC and keep in touch!!