Tuesday, June 2, 2009

St Lucia, May 21st, 2009


After spending the day before in Barbados, a lot of people had high hopes for the beaches of St Lucia. It seemed again, like such an uncommon place with all-inclusive resorts and hills covered in Caribbean foliage. How many people have you ever heard say they’ve been to St Lucia?


To be honest though, St. Lucia was a bit of a letdown. I can’t really say why, just that I heard that from several people. The common consensus just seemed to be that Barbados was hard to top.
Tony and I had decided to spend a day at the beach, since this vacation was about relaxing, so we shared a taxi with some other people to Reduit Beach. The water there was calmer than Barbados with more of a darker greenish color mixed here and there with patches of the blue and turquoise.

A lot of people were at this beach, including some people playing their music loudly and a few pushy vendors. Most of the vendors would leave you alone as long as you said no firmly or acted like you were sleeping. If you wanted more privacy, and did not need an umbrella or chair, than you could head to the end of the beach, which was almost empty.

I spent almost the whole time combing the shallow water for bits of sea glass and other treasures. I found a Caribbean 5 cent piece and several small blue tiles that probably blue off of some building or table. They were all around the beach. A couple of people commented on the fact that I was brave to wander down the beach all by myself, but it didn’t feel unsafe at all. In fact most of the hotels or resorts along the beach had guards posted just outside, mostly to prevent people from coming into the resort that did not belong, but I’m sure if you needed help they would have been there. Plus most people just left you alone, which was fine by me. I liked the solitude of walking in the sand and listening to the sounds of the tropics.



Dinner that night was again a cruise elegant affair. Our elegant attire was pretty casual compared to some, but I think we looked pretty good. Tony was starting to sport a bit of a tan, which made him look handsome in his linen shirt.
We sat with our show friends for one of the late night comic acts, which was funny, although a little raunchy. I heard from some other people that the midnight showing was really “R” rated, so I was glad we hadn’t stayed for that one.
Once again, we had a great day, but it was just not as memorable as some of the others. If I were to go back, I think I’d go on an excursion and maybe see more of the island.

1 comment:

familybrew7 said...

I LOVE all of the pictures! what a nice trip for you two! Makes me want to pack up and get to Belize to see my father in Law! I love to enjoy the beach too..shell combing and just enjoying the peace...awww just the thoughts makes me smile and relax :) Great post's!