Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Vacation Envy

As my sister put it, I have vacation envy. A serious case of it. Every day I talk about wonderful trips and exotic locales, describing trips of a lifetime. I'll here about some dream destination or even the simplest trip, and my envy comes on.

I didn't realize I was suffering from such a serious disease. It causes lack of sleep while fantasizing about vacation locations, daydreaming at rather inappropriate times, and exercising while eating brownies, (that makes sense to me. I eat the brownie because I'm depressed about my travel drought and exercise because I don't want to be fat when I go on vacation. Definitely a vacation envy symptom.)

Pat Conroy said, “Once you have traveled, the voyage never ends, but is played out over and over again in the quietest chambers. The mind can never break off from the journey.”

That is what my mind is like. At any given moment, a word or sound or smell will transport me to a far off place. When I cut a mango it will remind me of the Philippines, or when I see a turtle I will think of Barbados. If I hear certain words, my imagination bounces to all the places it could describe.

So I am suffering said disease, and wanted to apologize to all. No I haven't returned your calls, yes I was listening when you were talking (with at least one ear) and I'm sorry if I call you while you are on vacation just to see what you are doing.
I am happy to hear what people are up to, just ignore the little green monster on my shoulder who's frowning in your direction.



"...on some beach, somewhere..."

No comments: