Saturday, April 19, 2008

Mount Vernon











Last weekend Tony and I did not go anywhere in particular but to the mall. We had to get him shoes to match the new suit for his job interviews.

Anyway, this morning Tony got up and said we should do something since the weather was beautiful. Tony had wanted to go to George Washington's home for a while so we headed out there. (Us and the rest of the world. Just kidding, though it was pretty crowded. I think it took a half hour or so to find parking.)

To view the home, you wind in and out through the house in this line rivaling a Disneyland length, and see what we are told is meticulously restored rooms modeled to look like the house at the time of George Washington's death. They even have some original furniture and paintings, etc. You can't take pictures in the house, so I can't show you the vibrant green walls in two of the rooms that were considered a sign of wealth in those days, but which would doom a house on today's market. I actually kind of liked the large dining room that had the tamer green paint, but it's unlikely I would use it in my future home.

After the tour Tony and I wandered on the back lawn overlooking the river for a while, and then I took pictures in the garden. The flowers were out and as excited about the sun as we were. (Tony took the picture of the sea of red tulips. They are out in front of the house or rather where they have put the ticket booth and entrance.)
I wore sunscreen today, and talked Tony into it too, as this month many magazines are reminding/warning/frightening me of the dangers of skin cancer, and I seem to be susceptible to the power of suggestion in this instance. It eneded up probably being a good thing since most of the line we stood in was in the sun. Who knows how long I will remember to keep up with the daily sunscreen, but I can at least say for now that I am trying.

We also went in the Grist Mill and the Distillery, though we were getting tired of being in the sun by that point and did not take any pictures. (the latter of which smelled like cedar and nothing like the stinky breweries we'd pass in Ireland.)

So that was our weekend thus far. Hopefully next weekend we will be packing for a move. A move to where you say? Hmm... I'd like to know that too.

No comments: